Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Wayne's Joke of the Week- week 1

Awooga! Here we have it! It's time for my first 'joke of the week'!

I would like to start with some cutting-edge political satire, if I may.


What did Lyndon B. Johnson do when Richard Nixon was guilty of speaking with inadequate clarity of diction?

He gave him a Presidential "Pardon?".



I first became interested in the break-down of comedic structures when I was a student. It was in the 70s that I was to compose my first doctoral thesis "Which Came First, the Chicken or the Road? (A contextual dissection of the socio-political relevance of the 'Why did the chicken cross the road?' joke)". Referred to by critics as 'penetratingly revealing', 'remarkably concise and straight to the point- throughout the entire duration of its 100,000 words' and 'the biggest load of pretentious drivel since the publication of the Bible', my analytical work in the field of comedy has often divided critics.

Anyhow, look out for a breakdown in "Behind the Laughter- Inside the Amateur Comic's Studio", later in the week. Although the untrained eye will likely have seen nothing more than a simple piece of razor-sharp satire, interwoven with a dualistic thread of postmodernity and inverse Davroesque surrealism, to an observant artisan of the craft there are of course far more levels to be appreciated within the joke.

So, why not come and join me in my comedy abbatoir, as I hack through the exterior with a cultural hacksaw- allowing the entrails of witticism to spill out and unravel in their full comic glory?

No comments:

Post a Comment