Thursday, April 16, 2009

Literature and the test of time

While nobody could deny that one or two old yarns have stood up to the test of time, do we really have to be in constant deference to the 'great' authors and their 'classic' tales of yesteryear? While we have Shakespeare to thank for such contemporary film classics as "Ten Things I Hate About You" (derived from "Taming of the Shrew") "My Own Private Idaho" (from Henry IV) and "Dude Where's My Car" (inspired by "The Merchant of Venice"), must we keep on insisting that these literary old-timers have any genuine relevance to the "GMTV-Generation" of today?

Only today I found myself reading the "Emperor's New Clothes". What a load of overhyped nonsense! It's about time we accepted that such things are utterly irrelevant to the modern world! See my full review on amazon here

No comments:

Post a Comment